Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Musings of a Newlywed

Marriage is awesome. There's nothing better! And one of the things that makes it so great is that living with the person I love more than anyone else in the world makes me want to be a better me. Even though I've only been married a little over a month, there have been quite a few times when I've had to stop and take a good hard look at myself.

Sometimes I'm happy with what I find, others not so much.

But since I now live with a dude, we don't sit and analyze why I feel that way for hours on end. Nope! It's more like, "Okay, well, you're awesome, but if you think you can be better, just be better."

So much better than playing psychotherapy, so why did this concept blow my female mind out of the water the first time it came up?

It was when I went for a run one night and was down-right grumpy the entire time, partially due to the muggy heat but also for no reason at all. Eventually I called Colton to come pick me up because the whole running back thing just wasn't happening. The drive back was kind of quiet as I swam in self-pity, but he asked me what was wrong and I removed my frowny-floaties long enough to explain my not-so-fun run.

I don't even remember his expression changing at all, he just said "Well, have a better run tomorrow." It wasn't said with a lack of concern, just as though that was the only possible solution.

And he's right.

At the end of the day, what else can be done? So my run was crappy, or dinner tasted like cardboard or I lost my temper. All that I can really do is do better.

I'm so grateful to be married to a man who knows that.

Emma

No comments:

Post a Comment